Thatcham Research has revealed the 10 cars competing for the overall What Car? Safety Award 2019 (announced January 22).
Safety Award judge and Thatcham research director Matthew Avery says: “The 10 cars in this long-list are some of the safest ever made.”
The 10 contenders are:
* The Audi A6 which, Mr Avery says “has many safety features, including a pop-up bonnet, to protect pedestrians and cyclists”.
* Audi Q3: “One of the year’s stand-out performers.”
* Ford Focus: “Its AEB system performed just as well as some of the more expensive buys in the list.”
* Jaguar i-Pace: “High adult occupant protection (94pc) and crash avoidance technology (81pc) scores.”
* Lexus ES: “A best-in-class EuroNCAP winner.”
* Mercedes A-Class: “The only car in the top 10 to reach 90pc of its overall Euro NCAP score.”
* Nissan LEAF: “Offering further reassurance over concerns on electric battery compromise in crashes.”
* Peugeot 508: “Second highest Adult Occupant Protection score (96pc).”
* Volvo V60/S60: “Every car Volvo has produced has achieved maximum Euro NCAP star rating.”
* Volvo XC40: “Highest Adult Occupant Protection score of any car tested last year.”